It all started i n 1991 when a little girl thought it would be funny to pull a chair out from under me. It was at a bowling alley, so there was no padding between the carpet and the concrete. I hit it hard . I have been suffering from that injury ever since but it is no longer the only one. I have been on disability since 1999. I was always a very active and very thin. It has been hard to learn to not lift, twist bend and do other things that cause me pain. Partially because it usually hurts later. In 2000 I gained 100 pounds. My bone marrow shut down and I almost died (chemo) from not eating but I still gained all that weight. I finally got almost back down there and I was put on steroids for an adrenal insufficiency. Besides gaining all the weight back, after a few years my bones started breaking. The running total for the last 22 months is 35 fractures. As you can see from the lovely scooter and the large oxygen tank on the back it has all taken its toll. The weight has led to other health problems and obstacles in daily life. This blog is about what I do to try to live as normal a life as I can. I joined a pain group at the local VA Medical Center and have learned about relaxation and how it eases pain, pacing myself and resting while the pain subsides and doing things I enjoy to keep me in a good mood and take my mind off it. These are all great. Some of the things I love to do are cooking, crafts, gardening and learning new stuff. These things put a smile on my face and that’s what this is all about. I am trying to live a normal life. I am fortunate that I have a wonderful family and friends that help me when I need it but it is up to me to be happy. That’s what it’s all about.

Here are a few of the things I do to allow myself to enjoy the things I like to do:
Wait until I feel good and energetic enough to start a project.
Figure out where I can take breaks to allow my body to recuperate and let the pain subside.
Try not to push myself with all day projects.

Tonight for dinner we had homemade pot stickers, crab Rangoon, egg rolls and a little left over shrimp lomein.  It took 25 min to fix it all because I made things ahead and froze them for a day like today when I was in so much pain I didn’t feel like doing anything.  A couple of weeks ago I had never made any of these things except the egg rolls.  It was a good dinner.  I enjoyed them all over again for the third time.


My taste testers, Marty and Kylie.


My little helpers.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s